Replace the Batteries in the Garage Door Opener Keypad
It can be frustrating to discover that your garage door is not working. But sometimes the solution is as simple as to change the battery in the garage door opener keypad. Before calling a professional to fix your door, try changing the batteries of your keypad. Although, keypad door openers are excellent and high security but they do run out of batteries.
How long does a battery in a garage door opener keypad last?
Like every electronic gadget, the keypad does run out of batteries depending upon the use. The more you use it then the more power it will consume and faster it will run out of batteries. On average, garage door opener keypad batteries will last you for over a year before you need to replace them. And when you purchase a garage door keypad, batteries are provided by the manufacturer for the first time. After that you need to change it.
How to change batteries in the keypad?
If your keypad has stopped working and it has been installed for over a year then the batteries need to be changed. Luckily changing the battery in the garage door opener keypad is not a difficult task. Follow the given steps:
- Lift the cover of your keypad and look at the bottom of it. There will be a slot for batteries.
- If you do not know about the location of batteries then look at the keypad manual. It would surely be mentioned there.
- Remove the cover in order to access batteries.
- Take out the old batteries and dispose of them safely.
- Now insert 9 volts of new alkaline batteries into the previous slot.
- Put back the cover.
- Test the keypad if it is working or not. In most cases, after replacing the batteries, the keypad is up and running again.
How to change batteries in different types of keypad?
Since there are many companies selling garage door opener keypads. So, their manufacturing and design will vary from one another. As there battery allocation. So, the step by step guide of changing batteries in different keypads is mentioned below:
How to change batteries on the liftmaster keypad?
If you have liftmaster garage door opener keypad then follow the given steps to change the batteries:
- Slide the battery cover down. The batteries will be located at the bottom.
- Remove old batteries and put them in the recycle bin.
- Install new batteries. Liftmaster keyless security system requires 9 volts of batteries.
- Put back the cover.
How to change batteries on the genie garage door keypad?
If you have a genuine garage door then there is a different procedure to change batteries on the genie garage door keypad. Follow the given steps and change the batteries in no time:
- Flip the cover open of the genie keypad.
- Look at the bottom of the keypad. There will be a plastic compartment for batteries.
- Remove the cover. Unplug the battery supply and dispose of them safely.
- Add new 9 volts alkaline batteries.
How to change the battery in a chamberlain garage door opener keypad?
The chamberlain garage door opener keypad has many types. These types differ in the keypad design and the method of removing battery cover is different. All of the chamberlain keypad will take quite a force to remove the battery covers. So, do not worry about breaking the cover because they are designed to be open in this way. The types and the step by step procedure is mentioned below.
a. Chamberlain: 740CB/66LM: It is an old type of garage door opener keypad. The battery cover is screwed at the bottom of the keypad. Hence you will need a Phillips head screwdriver for removing the battery cover. Once the cover has been removed, the only thing left is to remove the previous batteries. Connect new 6 volts of alkaline batteries. With the help of the same Phillips head screwdriver, screw the battery cover back.
b. Chamberlain: 940CB, 976LM, and 376LM: This is the second oldest type of garage door keypad. If your garage door is old then this might be the keypad that has come with it. This has a pin hole at the bottom. Push the Philips screw driver in the pin hole and gently move the cover outward and slide it down. The rest steps are the same.
c. Chamberlain: 940D, 940EV, 977LM, 377LM, 877LM, and the 877MAX: This is the latest design of keypad. And there is an oval cut out at the top of the battery cover. To remove the battery cover, apply pressure at the oval cut out with the help of a flat head screwdriver. The cover will gently slide up. Remove the previous batteries and add a new one.
What if the keypad still does not work even after changing batteries?
Sometimes, changing the batteries does not do the trick. In such cases, there is something else that has been interfering with it. There are few things you can do in such cases:
- The first thing to do will be replacing your batteries. If your keypad starts working after this then you don’t need to do anymore troubleshooting.
- Your keypad is mounted outside and the keys of the keypad will accumulate dirt. This can cause the keys to stick together. If this is happening then the solution is as simple as cleaning the keypads using an appliance cleaner on soft cloth. If your cover can remove then clean the dust with the help of dry cloth.
- If your entering code and the keypad is not working then this means you have entered wrong code and your security system has shut down. Your keypad will only work after you will reset the code again.
The above mentioned guide will help you change the batteries of your garage door opener keypad and troubleshoot it if the keypad is not working. But if all the above mentioned methods do not work then call a professional and let him have a close look at your garage door.