Steps on Garage Door Opener Remote Replacement
If your garage door remote has stopped working then replace it. Home center has many remotes to replace garage door remotes. They are cheap and newer in model. If you are not sure about the model of your opener then replace the remote with a universal garage door opener remote. But this is not compatible with every type of opener.
What are the types of garage door remotes?
Before spending your money on a new remote, you should know the kinds of remote available in the market. There are mainly two types of garage door opener remotes:
- The first and most common type has a Learn/smart button. When you press the learn/smart button simultaneously on the unit as well as the remote, this codes it to work.
- The second type works for older doors and it has a DIP switch package. When a certain switch is placed in position then the garage door works.
- The best option is to buy universal garage door remotes. It has both DIP switches and Learn/smart buttons. So, it will work with almost any kind of opener available.
How to know what kind of remote you should purchase?
If the company from which you have purchased your garage door opener is still in business then they may be selling the exact type of remote for your garage door opener. So, contact the customer service of the company and it may save you from the hassle of finding a compatible remote for your opener. If your company is no longer in the market then look for the following information to find the correct remote:
- Look at the old remote: Look for the information from your old remote (if you have it). Sometimes, the information is available at the opposite side of the battery cover or inside the battery housing.
- Check at the garage door motor: With the help of a firm ladder look at the ceiling where the motor is located. Some information like model number and manufacturer is located at the garage door motor.
- Contact the manufacturer: You can call the customer care or brand manufacturer once you know the model number. If the company does not make remotes anymore then they could inform the best replacement for your opener.
How to program your new remote?
If you have found the remote that is most suitable for your current garage opener then there are series of steps you should follow given steps to program new garage door opener remote:
- Replace garage door opener batteries:
You may need to add or replace garage door opener batteries. Some remotes have batteries pre installed and you just need to remove the protective layer. If your remote is fairly new then change the battery in the garage door opener remote.
- How to remove the battery in liftmaster garage door control:
The method for changing batteries is different in liftmaster garage door opener remotes. To change battery in liftmaster garage door remote, follow the given steps,
- Remove the back cover of the remote controller by a screwdriver or visor clip.
- Remove the old battery and dispose of it properly.
- Now replace it with a new battery, positive side up and negative side down.
- Screw the cover back.
- Prepare the motor unit: The next step in programming your remote is to reach for your motor unit in the ceiling and press the ‘learn’ button for 6 seconds until the light goes down.
- Press button on remote: After this step, press any button on your remote within 30 second to set the code on the remote. Look for sound or light in the motor housing, this will indicate that the motor has recognized your new remote.
- Test remote: Now test the remote by opening or closing the door with it. If the door neither opens or closes the door then repeat the above mentioned step again.
- How to replace wireless garage door opener remote?
Replacing a wireless garage door opener remote is an easy task. It is like finding the right kind of remote for your television set. First thing first, look at the motor unit of your garage door and look for a model number. After this, call the customer service and find the replacement for your wireless garage door opener remote. But if there is not any suitable option available then opt for universal garage door opener remote.
How to learn programming by the ‘learn’ button?
The easiest way to program your remote is by the ‘learn’ button on the motor unit.
- l Note down the model number and brand of opener by looking at the motor unit.
- l Remove the panel to the control.
- l Look for the ‘learn’ button at the remote. For the liftmaster remote, purple is the color.
- l Press the button for 6 seconds until the light goes on.
- l Now press the ‘smart/learn’ button in the control unit.
- l Select the button you want to program and then press it three times.
- l Last step left is to assign the code to the programmed button. The light of the motor unit will go off after it is coded.
- l Your newly programmed remote should open the garage door.
What if the opener has lost its batteries?
If you have replaced and programmed your garage door opener remote and it is still not working then the problem might be in the opener. You need to change battery of garage door opener and for this purpose follow given steps:
- There is a battery compartment in the bottom of the control panel. In some models the door will slide off to reveal the batteries while in others you will have to unscrew the case to look at the batteries.
- In either case, replace the battery and test it with the remote.
- If the garage door works then you are good to go.
These steps and different methods will help you to replace the battery of the remote or garage door opener. But if your door still does not open or closes then the problem might be in the power supply, spring or rollers. Don’t panic and look for the issue.